What do I do if I have been overpaid on housing benefit?

An overpayment will be recovered from either you or the person the benefit award was sent to (e.g. a private landlord).

All overpaid benefit you are informed of is recoverable unless the council tell you otherwise, if the council decide that an overpayment is not recoverable you will be advised in writing. The council may decide not to recover an overpayment if it was caused by our error.

If you wish to discuss an overpayment contact the Overpayment Recovery team on 01733 452651 or email

How would you rate the usefulness of this answer

Please scale your rating below: